Channel your inner yogi with these calorie-blasting yoga asanas
With just 24 hours in a day we understand how difficult it is to find time to even go to the swankiest gym in town or dedicate a couple of hours for that Pilates class. Between juggling jobs, household chores and a hectic social life, most us fail to slip in that essential workout time. And that’s when yoga comes to the rescue. From trimming your figure to energising your mind and body, yoga has a multitude of benefits.
We look at some yoga poses that will work the muscles in all the right places to deliver those washboard abs and mini skirt worthy calves, all while relaxing and rejuvenating you. Sounds like a good deal? Then let’s get down to it without further ado!
1. Temple Pose
Target area – Calves
• Plant your feet wide and bend your knees out to the side at a 90-degree angle.
• Sink your body down in a squat position and align your butt with your knees. Hold this pose for 30 seconds.
2. Chair Pose
Target area – Legs and butt
• Stand straight with arms stretched ahead, palms facing downwards. Slowly drop down as if you’re sinking into a chair.
• Keep your feet aligned hip-width apart and push back your weight from the balls of your feet to the heels to shift your hips back.
• Align your knee over heels, push your butt out and slowly shift your stomach from your thighs by extending your arms overhead.
3. Child’s Pose
Target Area – Hips, back
• Kneel on the yoga mat with your big toes touching and knees hip-width apart. Sit on your heels.
• Place your torso between your thighs and place your forehead on the floor.
• Extend arms straight in front of you with palms flat on the floor.
• Stay in position for at least 1 minute.
4. Plank Pose
Target Area – Arms, back, shoulders, core, quadriceps
• Use the Downward-Facing Dog position and bring your chest forward to align your shoulders right above your wrists to assume the push-up position. The pressure here is on your palms.
• Keep your feet together and press your heels towards the wall behind you. Extend your head in front so that your body is in a straight line from head to toe.
• Hold the position for at least 1 minute.
5. Boat Pose
Target Area – Core, psoas, quadriceps
• Lie on your back with feet together and arms next to your body.
• Take a deep breath in and as you exhale, lift your chest and feet off the ground while stretching your arms towards your feet.
• Your eyes, fingers and toes should all be in one straight line.
• Hold for 5 to 10 breaths and repeat 5 times.
Who says you need to look drab during yoga at home. Add a dash of glamour with the latest collection of chic actiwear from Kappa.
[su_button href=”http://www.lifestylestores.com/womens_collection.php” icon=”icon: shopping-cart”] Womens collection [/su_button]
Leave us a comment and tell us your fitness secrets 🙂